MOUNTAIN MAKEOVERS A $1.3 million investment in Telluride Ski Resort’s snowmaking capabilities means more snow in high-traffic areas off of Lifts 4 and 5 (the beginner and intermediate areas in the heart of the trail system).
SUITE STAY The Inn at Lost Creek, a ski-in/ski-out boutique property located slopeside in the heart of the Mountain Village core, features 32 guest rooms with gas-fed stone fireplaces, kitchens, jetted tubs, steam showers and impressive views of the San Juan Mountains. Be sure to enjoy the drink specials (daily until 6PM) at the property’s Siam’s Talay Grille—Mountain Village’s newest dining establishment, offering contemporary Asian tapas and seafood. One-bedroom suites from $299 per night
ALL-IN APRÈS Grab a seat at the recently improved SMAK Bar, located within Hotel Madeline Telluride, where you’ll enjoy live DJs, cocktails and s’mores. Be sure to try the specialty Revelation cocktail: peppermint schnapps-spiked hot chocolate served in an oversize mug garnished with chocolate latticework, on which three boozy truffles rest.
LOCAL LORE Gus Kenworthy, Sochi Olympic silver medalist in men’s freeski slopestyle, offers his top recommendations and favorites:
1. The bar at the historic New Sheridan Hotel offers good drinks and a fun Western ambience that speaks to Telluride’s rich mining history.
2. Kind of like Telluride’s country club, The Peaks Resort & Spa is an awesome place to hang out and feel pampered. It has an incredible gym, and an indoor/outdoor pool and spa.
3. I love going to see a movie when I’m in Telluride. The Nugget Theatre is old, and the movies that play there have already been out for months, but it’s always a fun experience.
4. Cosmopolitan Telluride is a fine-dining restaurant on the ground floor of the luxurious Hotel Columbia. It’s located downtown by the gondola, on Gus’s Way, the street named after me after the Olympics!
5. If you’re looking to shop while you’re in town, I recommend checking out Pip’s Fine & Funky Consignment. My mom owns the store, and it’s a fun mix of designer clothes, vintage, costumes and everything in between.
RUN OF YOUR LIFE Intermediate skiers will love the See Forever Trail. Take Gold Hill Express (chair 14), and ride up to 12,255 feet where the run begins. Ski the ridgeline while admiring the deep couloirs and jagged terrain of Bear Creek to your right and the Wilson Range to your left. Advanced skiers looking to earn their turns should try Palmyra Peak. Ride Prospect Express (chair 12) to 11,815 feet; unclick from your skis or snowboard; and start the 1,505-foot hike to the top. Once there, get ready to descend more than 1,000 feet of vertical drop over untouched powder.
To visit Telluride Luxury Properties, click here.